One of my very favorite things to do this time of year is to bake! The smells of fall and the chill in the air make me go searching for my favorite recipes that include apples or pumpkin. One of my very favorites includes apples and butterscotch. How can you go wrong?
If you go apple-picking this weekend (or to the grocery store), be sure to give this recipe a try!
Butterscotch Apple Squares
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 small apples, pared & chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 (6-oz.) pkg. butterscotch chips
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- flaked coconut (approx. 1 1/3 cups), as desired
- 1 cup chopped nuts, as desired
Preheat oven to 350 (325 for glass dish). In a 13×9 dish, melt the margarine in the oven. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over melted margarine and top with the apples.
In a heavy saucepan, over medium heat, melt the chips with the sweetened condensed milk. Pour the butterscotch mixture evenly over the apples. Top with coconut and nuts (as desired); press down firmly.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and chill thoroughly. Refrigerate leftovers.
Super easy and really, really good!